Monday, January 9, 2012

Hurt so good

So I've been waiting for something interest to come along so I can update, and I would say my experience today would be interesting to all endurance athletes out there. Before I get into that though, a little recap on my weekend, and how training week 1 went. Overall, I am feeling good. My legs are definitely feeling the bump in volume and intensity- but it feels good.


Oh and yay! I made the Well-Fit Elite team for 2012. I am very excited to start training with the team, and get to know some crazy fast people. 


A couple recommendations to fellow triathletes
1) the "sufferfest" videos. these are exactly what they sound like. concentrated pain- with less emphasis on the "fest" portion. These are great cycling training videos that use real footage to guide you through a structured workout. This past Saturday I used the "downward spiral" video as the start to a 2 hour ride. it was a descending interval workout 2 X (2min all out, 2 min easy, 1:45 all out, 1:45 easy etc etc until 15 seconds) anyway, i love these videos and I highly recommend them
2) crock pots- amazing. that is all. i have steel cut oats cooking right now for tomorrow morning. this is a life saver.


Ok, so here is what ireally wanted to write about- today's  1 hour rolfing "massage" . Its not really a massage at all, it is "structural integration". I am not sure how best to describe it so I will copy and paste from onlin


 "Rolfing Structural Integration is a form of bodywork that reorganizes the connective tissues, called fascia, that permeate the entire body...These connective tissues surround, support and penetrate all of the muscles, bones, nerves and organs. Rolfing Structural Integration works on this web-like complex of connective tissues to release, realign and balance the whole body.Essentially, the Rolfing process enables the body to regain the natural integrity of its form, thus enhancing postural efficiency and your freedom of movement."


Not clear?  you are right, the descriptions of it are vague, but for people who have under gone any ART treatments ( active release techniques), its similar, except MUCH MUCH more intense. By the time i was done, i was sweating from just trying to breathe through the pain. Essentially, the rolfer applies really pinpointed pressure to certain areas and asks you to move simultaneously to try and release tension in the muscles. Unlike a massage though, this is NOT a relaxing experience. The  only thing that stopped me from crying during this appointment was pride. THAT SAID, i feel AMAZING right now, and hopefully, after a day of hydrating, i will feel even better tomorrow. I have been battling some tightness from an injury, and regular massage and stretching just wasn't cutting it. 


I think this is something for people to consider. Think of it like a foam roller on steroids. It's not going to be for everyone, and you have to go into it knowing that it will be intense, but that the benefit may be great. I will keep you posted on how its feeling over the next few days, but I have a good feeling about the experience, and thought I would share!



No comments: