Sunday, March 21, 2010

Things your grandmother and I have in common....

1) We wake up at 5 oclock in the morning
2) 4:30 seems like a totally reasonable time to eat dinner
3) we see movies before 11 o'clock in the morning because its cheaper, and it allows us to avoid crowds... and teenagers.
4) We have hip problems.

As some of you may know by now, I have been having IT band issues, which according to my doctor and physical therapist is due to weakness and some rotation in my hips. IT band issues are pretty common in triathletes because we spend all of our time moving ourselves forward...not sideways. With no real reason to focus on lateral movements, our hip muscles get weak, throw things out of whack and lead to issues with the IT band. I have really been tryin to commit myself to a variety of solutions. which include stretching and using my roller, lateral band work, leg lifts and at the suggestion of my coach, i am even planning on taking up skating ( roller blading) to stregnthen my hips.

Im going to try and find pictures of these exercises to pass onto people if they want to try them out. my guess is, if you just do these before you have problems you may just avoid the issue all together.

I have had no such luck... in fact I am going to go work on this right now.

2 comments:

hermineh said...

What about dancing? You could get a lot of sideways movement out of that. Seems like it would be much more fun than those exercises you listed.

Oh, and grannies rock!

hermineh said...
This comment has been removed by the author.